Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Shopping

Hey Everybody,

     After every shopping trip, my pocket/hubby's wallet is significantly lighter.  We went shopping at the mall after my boyfriend got out of work yesterday and bought so many new things.  This includes a new coat, something we've been looking for as we are not big on snowsuits.  We found a cute one and are starting to look for the baby's going home outfit.  A baby is expensive not because they have to be, but because we make them.  After all, how the hell did pilgrims survive without the new bouncer or baby Jordans that will match his daddy's.  I read article upon article about how to buy what is necessary only for the baby.  Then I sat down and made my registry.  There are currently over a 100 items in one and over 50 in the other.  Baby items are cute and the clothes will of course make them look adorable and the bouncer will be perfect when you need to make dinner.  You read the reviews and know that the swing will be amazing for a fussy baby and wonder how in the world anyone will go without that.  I like to think of myself as old school, my great-grandfather used to say I'm an old soul.  Every once in a while I stop myself and think about whether I need a certain item and what people used to do without said item and what I can do to survive without it too.  It's hard though!  When you see an activity gym that matches perfectly, or a toy they can't even touch for 6 months but you just think it's so precious, you're not going to stop yourself.  At this stage of pregnancy for me where not finding a ride to the mall (I don't drive while pregnant) that day could turn into my Armageddon, my man isn't exactly quick to deny me baby items either.
     It's also so hard to find the perfect item for your baby by price and rating and reviews, that when you find something perfect for your family, you snatch it up before it's gone.  Especially as a new mother, with a working boyfriend and an empty home, it's hard not to get carried away by reviews and ratings when you're just "window shopping" online.  There is no one around all day to ask about whether an item is necessary or safe or age appropriate.  So when you get online and see something cute, you click on it to "just see what it is" and there is a 4 star rating and reviews by mothers who "don't know how they got along without it" and suddenly you deem it necessary.  In a world where people depend on barney and bassinets to raise their child, how do you know when you've stopped being a mother, and started being a shop-a-holic?
     So here's the story: as a new mom I'm never going to know what my baby needs or will want or love or hate or never want to leave behind, I can only guess.  It will be easier the second time around but for now, I know I'll over do it, I know I'll buy to much and spend to much and I know I'm going to end up with at least a few things he'll never even touch or like.  That's a risk I think we're all willing to take because we want more for them then we had, even if we had A LOT!!  Babies will be spoiled, but read up, you can't "spoil" a baby, it's just not possible.  I say follow you're heart but glance at the price tag and think practically whether you'll be getting the most for your money.  You're bound to make a mistake or 2 along the way, buy something he doesn't need or forget to get that new thing that's out that will make your life so much easier.  Trial and error is big and all we can do is our best.  Until next time.

        ~Brianna J~

No comments:

Post a Comment